Sunday, August 26, 2012

Without a hitch

Friday was the first day with my new kiddos, and oh my gravy...are they cute! I normally have TONS of stuff planned and then get one thing accomplished. It's funny how I forget what the first few days of school are like....practice, practice, practice! Sometimes I feel like some sort of drill sergeant. I always feel like I am trying to cram so many rules and procedures into them that they must go home thinking "Kindergarten isn't fun."

But, Friday was different. I kept it pretty low key and fun for them. We got many of the rules and procedures down, but also did Dr. Jean's Peanut Butter song (because Heaven knows how much they love to hear the word underwear!), we read Pete the Cat Rocking in my School Shoes, did a school tour looking for Pete's Shoes, read the book with the music again by request, had gym...even lunch went without a hitch! I am soooo looking forward to this school year. I feel like I am in complete control of one area of my life and it is at school.

I haven't had too much time to create anything new. I've been getting home around 6 and then spend some time with the Little Mister, shower, wash and get bottles ready, try to eat a little dinner, and then sit comatose. 

Although, last night I made some Owl Theme Ten Frame Mini Posters for all you owl lovers out there. I am hoping to finally finish up my Thanksgiving unit soon.


I've had some questions about my Focus Wall.
This is a new feature in my classroom. I am going to use it so my students know what we are working on for the entire week, as a form of early goal setting. On the first day of the week, I will talk about many of the things we will be learning for the week (Theme, Math, Reading, Writing, Phonics, and Phonemic Awareness) (I plan on adding a PBIS goal too). I have general "blurbs" for each heading that are linked with what we are working on and the Common Core. For example, Math might say Counting to 100. Looking back at the creation, I wish I had done I can statements, but live and learn, right? Then on Fridays, we will go over what our goals were and what we still need to work on. I love the idea of having them feel like they are in some control of their own learning.

Yes, I do plan on selling this on TPT, but I am still wondering if I should tweak it a bit first. Let me know what you think! 

Happy Sunday!
Shannon

5 comments:

  1. I do really like the idea of adding the "I Can" statements to the focus wall stuff. I think that it further solidifies the idea that they are in some control of their own learning and it's really positive too. It makes me think of The Little Engine That Could... love that story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love this Focus Wall idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be first in line to buy the FOcus Wall - I was trying to figure out how to "bring it all together" and then BANG - you had the answer on your site!!! I love the I Can statement - that is what we do already for Reader's Workshop :-) THanks so much for what you do - you are an inspiration to many!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would be really great if you could sell a version that can be edited, that way we could all adapt your great idea for our own programs. Not sure if your able or would want to do that. Either way I can't wait to add this to my classroom. Your ideas are great and everything you make is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, you are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing, but PLEASE..take care of your self and that little man! Remember, you are a MOM first, then a teacher! I had a principal tell me that one year, and it made a world of difference in my attitude! I love your ideas, but if you need to spend time playing your baby or vegging....we all will understand. Sounds like you are off to a great school year! I know it's been a rough year for you, and I totally get your "school is the one place I have control of" statement! Just do what you can at the time with what you have! Have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete