Thursday, January 6, 2011

Word Family Fun

After we finish learning all the sounds through Jolly Phonics, we dedicate quite a bit of time to learning Word Families.By learning and practicing word families, students will become more familiar with word patterns. Many of my students are excellent at decoding, but we also want students to be able to see simple word patterns and just know it, versus having to sound it out each time they see it.

In my room, I introduce the word family by displaying it and reading a Scholastic Word Family Tales book. http://shop.scholastic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_17771_-1_10001_10002
The following day we brainstorm words that are in that family and display them on the Carson Dellosa Word Families Bulletin Board set.

After we have practiced the family, each student gets a word family worksheet. I dictate words and they write. The paper is placed into their 3 prong Word Family folder. Students use roll a dice to practice reading the words. Folders go home as homework on Fridays, just for additional practice.

I created the worksheets using Carson Dellosa clipart that was available on CD. One of the best purchases EVER, if you can find them...buy them! There are also some djinkers clips, too.

All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.

Here is the a word family set that I use...
A Word Family Folder Sheets


Here is the e word family set that I use...
E Word Family Folder Set


Here is the i word family set that I use...
I Word Family Folder Set


Here is the o word family set that I use...
O Word Family Folder Set

Here is the u word family set that I use...
U Word Family Folder Sheets


Great resources...
http://www.wordway.us.com/
http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/printable_booklets.html#WordFamilyBooklets

5 comments:

  1. Love the worksheets!! I am planning out my week and curious on how many days you spend on each word family? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm so glad you shared these! I just paid for 3 word families on TPT (only for $1 each) but these are much more kindergarten-friendly. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Those links you posted as sources are C-R-A-Z-Y full of word family activities. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete