Wednesday, January 19, 2011

To Gobbler's Knob. It's Groundhog Day!

Groundhog Day, such a silly little tradition but nonetheless it is fun! I started to think about all my traditional stuff and decided I need to do/make more. I know it's just one day, but I figure...might as well make it count!

All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.

**All the documents can now be found in one easy to download file on TPT, it's still a freebie :)

Kindergarten Hoppenings {Groundhog Day Blog Favorites}
I cannot say how much I LOVE this book. I ordered it in the Scholastic SeeSaw January book order. Two words...SUPER CUTE!


The day before we make a graph as to whether or not the we think the groundhog will see his shadow. A very traditional activity. Here's my a picture of my graph.

Here is a new math activity. I based it on graphing heads or tails. I plan on copying the coin part on cardstock to make it a little heavier. Have students color and cut out the circle groundhogs. Tape or glue them together. Have them flip it and graph the results.
Shadow or No Shadow

A groundhog puzzle. It's pretty basic.
Groundhog Puzzle

The final activity is a book...I use this term loosely. It's a "cheesetastic" book! The goals are for students to track the words, read the sight words, use the pictures for unfamiliar text, and to notice the silly rhyming. The book is simple and a bit silly :)

**Please note, if you copy it...the last two pages are not supposed to be used together. I plan on using the page that actually matches the outcome of whether or not our friend the Groundhog saw his shadow.
Groundhog Book

4 comments:

  1. I love the groundhog day book! Found it just in time, too! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all of your creative and clever ideas! Groundhog day will be a good one this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like fun. Is the clipart for the poster/graph available?

    ReplyDelete