Monday, January 10, 2011

Phonemic Awareness

We use a phonemic awareness program called Phonemic Awareness: The Skills That They Need to Help Them Succeed! written by Dr. Michael Heggerty. http://www.literacyresourcesinc.com/about/. We've used this curriculum for three years now, with great success.

Resources for Phonemic Awareness Instruction....

All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.


Letter Packs
Heggerty Letter Packs

Elkonin Boxes
Elkonin Boxes

ABC Charts
This chart I use with small groups. We usually sing it...apple apple /a/ /a/ /a/ and so forth. Students also have to practice tracking with their finger.
ABC Mat


This chart usually goes into their Fluency Bag for reference.
Alphabet Chart


Rhyming Cards
Rhyming Cards

Rhyming Bingo
Rhyming Bingo

Stretchy the Word Snake
Stretchy the Word Snake

Making Words Mat
To build words as a class I bought these awesome Word Building Tiles from Lakeshore Learning http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/p%7C845524441765416~~f%7C/Assortments/Lakeshore/ShopByCategory/teacherresources/viewall.jsp. I bought enough for everyone and then numbered them. To organize them, I bought slider pencil cases.
product imageHands-On Word Building Teaching Kit
The best part...I bought them a week before school at Office Max for a penny each! I numbered the cases, as well. Each student gets a case with letters and a making words mat. I have students sort their letters (time consuming at first, but by January, they are pros). I also sort and build on the overhead. This is easily one of my favorite purchases of the last few years!
Making Words Mat

Picture Sorts (Beginning Sounds)
When I first introduce picture sorts, I have students take a sheet of construction paper and fold it in half, then they draw a line down the center.

We usually do beginning sound picture sorts as a group before I move them into our center time.
Beginning Sounds Picture Sorts

10 comments:

  1. I really like the ABC chart where the kids say "apple, apple, apple, a, a, a", but when i tried to download it it came out all wrong. Is there any way you could email me the pdf. Thank you so much for all of the help. I am a first year kindergarten teacher and your ideas are getting me through the year =)
    thanks,
    Laura
    lcunning@pasco.k12.fl.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura!

    Sorry about that, not sure what is going on! I am glad you are finding stuff to use! I emailed the pdf to you!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I have won the "Teacher Lottery" right now. I have been going backwards through your blog for the past hour and just admiring and downloading things that I think I can use for the beginning of the year... when do you find the time to make all of this? It is truly amazing work!!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second all of sspeller's comments! This is the jackpot!! I've been on your blog for a while too and plan to spend more time frequently. How in the world do you find the time to make all of these?! I had considered switching grades (I've been in K for 4 years, working on my 5th) but this makes me think if I stay long enough, I'll have time to make things like you do! :) WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! I hope that one day I can find the time to give back the way that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You are now my idol! You have made some great resources, thank you for sharing!
    I love the ABC chart. I have a couple that I use now and love to give my students different options to choose from.
    I am struggling to figure out what the picture is for /z/???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shannon,

    Cooper is absolutely adorable. You're so lucky! Just a question as I've been browsing your blog for the last 40 minutes or so .... you mention a fluency bag in your post about phonemic awareness (Jan 2011). Just wondering if you could provide any more details about what goes in the bag and how you/students use it. Thanks so much!!!

    Sandy
    Ontario, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon - You will be in my thoughts tomorrow as I believe your maternity leave is ending. Thanks for all the wonderful freebies and updates on your sweet baby boy! I have two boys of my own:-) they hold a special place in your heart. The day will fly by and your kiddos at school will put a smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How am I just now finding this? Thank you so much for providing these amazing resources! You rock!

    ReplyDelete